Thursday, August 30, 2007

With the Lights On, Shit-Pop, and Going Back Home

Yes, the electricity did come back late Sunday afternoon. I screamed like a kid on Christmas when the power came back on. I never realized that electricity in our lives. Living without it for 45 minutes is tolerable, but for over 3 days, it's mind numbing.

I have been watching a lot of movies the past few weeks. I still have a lot of movies to watch on my laptop AND external hard drive. I thought I would watch movies on my external hard drive during the summer and I still haven't finished some movies. For the past week, I saw War starring Jet Li and Jason Statham with Wency and watched The Kingdom starring Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, and Chris Cooper with Jorge.

War is just painful. The story is clichéd, the characters are clichéd, and the ending was just plain horrible. The only good thing about the film was the twist which I honestly did not see coming.

The Kingdom on the other hand is well made, shot with that vomit inducing Bourne Ultimatum style, well-acted, and well directed but there's a huge problem. It's downside is that it's too goddamn predictable. The way scenes are shot give way to predictability. It's sad that a well made film such as this cannot be enjoyed because you have seen it so many times before in much better films (such as Black Hawk Down).

My musical tastes seems to go towards rock (classic and modern) and alternative, some jazz, some classical, and some experimental. There's one genre I want to talk about and that's Shit-Pop. Yes, it's not a real genre but it's a type of music that I truly hate. I do have my guilty pleasures such as Rhianna's "Umbrella" or Paramore's "Misery Business" (this is a great pop rock song, btw) but there's another level of shit seething within MTV and MTV is doing all they can to serve it to the masses. One of these bands is Gym Class Heroes. Aside from the fucked up and annoying name, the music is also annoying. If the Roots have perfected the art of rap rock, then Gym Class Heroes wants you to destroy it completely from your mind. None of their lyrics make sense, the images on their music videos are unoriginal, and most of all, there's no musicianship in the group. There's no passion from playing their instruments. Most musicians make music because that is what they love. Yes, they love making money off of it but GCH seems to forget the entire subject of becoming a musician and just wants to revel in the stupidity of it all.

Other musicians that I feel seem to be in the Shit Pop canon are:
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
Sean Kingston
Jonas Brothers (another Disney shit band)
Hurricane Chris (listen to "A Bay Bay" and you'll want to kill yourself)
Mims
Boys Like Girls (this is actually a band name, talk about originality)
T-Pain (is there a song where he doesn't use so many goddamn filters on his fucking voice?!)
Shop Boyz (I want to kill the person who wrote "Party Like a Rock Star")
Hannah Montana (bitch created by Disney who doesn't sing her own songs live)
Cartel (this band just pisses me off!)

Feel free to add more in the comments section below.

ARGH!!!!!

Oh yeah, I'm going to the Philippines on December 16th if I haven't told anyone here yet. I'm staying for a month over there, smoking weed, drinking pop (can't drink alcohol), hanging with Mozzie, and filming a documentary about J.L.

To end it all, here's one of the worst covers by Gym Class Heroes performing "Under the Bridge":



Listen to how the lead singer says that he can feel what Anthony Kiedis was talking about when he was growing up. Yes, you were addicted to drugs when you were fucking 11. The song is about Kiedis' reflection on his drug addiction and listen how they fucking play it. They play it like an uplifting song (I love it at how the guitarist has no playing ability for this type of song whatsoever) when it's one of most somber
and dark songs Kiedis has ever written.

Here's a recent acoustic version of "Under the Bridge" done by the Peppers themselves:

2 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,

T-Pain uses an envelope follower for his voice that's why it sounds so fucked up.

Cory

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger vin said...

wOw! Going back here huh...i hope u get to go to Baguio this time...they grow a lot of weeds there wahahaha.. seriously they do.. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home