Saturday, May 20, 2006

And Jesus married Mary Magdalene.

As it says in the Da Vinci Code.

The movie was pretty good. It is definitely not for people who easily sleep in the theater. The film runs a long 152 minutes (with credits, of course). I found the film incredibly intriguing and compelling. Some of the ideas in the film are quite fascinating and Audrey Tautou is really cute. There's one thing I'm missing though. Why the hell are critics fucking ripping this film to pieces? Some say that it is slow (I found it to be quite fast) and plodding. Some found it to be too expository (well, I didn't know shit so this factor helped me a lot) and the dialogue laughable (I didn't hear anyone laughing in the theater I was in).

The film is the definition of pop entertainment, pure and simple. I found Hanks to be likable and quite good in the whole of Robert Langdon, Ian McKellan is great as Sir Leigh Teabing, Audrey Tautou is cute, cute, cute as Sophie, Paul Bettany does his job as the villain Silas, and Jean Reno does admirable work as Farche. Howard's direction is as cliched as ever but did it hinder me from liking it? No. The film is far from perfect but it does its job. It gives the movie audience something to watch and be entertained by.

Some people took this film too seriously and it destroyed their outlook on the film. And what's all this backlash with religious perspective of this film? It presented the Christian religion respectively. It presents its so-called "facts" as fiction and in the end we know its fiction. I'm a Catholic and did I hate the film for presenting the so-called "facts"? No NO NO! I liked the film and sure it dragged during the final few minutes but I was entertained. Movies are entertainment but some people forget about this a long time ago.

1 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Pajammy said...

daniel, i'm so glad you liked the movie... arvin and i enjoyed it as well.. but it seems that most people who watched it found it too dragging.. if they really listened to the dialogue, i don't think they would have been bored..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home