Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"I'm damaged bad at best"

I'm so lazy to type nowadays.
I just want to go to the Philippines like now, I mean, right now.
I wish I was finished with school and now it seems I'm graduating in the summer rather than May because the AVM III class is being dropped in the Spring because no one is teaching it.
I've been watching movies the past few weeks.

Into the Wild is a great, great film. I don't cry a lot at the movies but this one made me cry a lot. Throughout the crowd, I could hear almost everyone crying. Even some of the old geezers were crying. And yes, even some of the guys were crying too. The ending is such a rush of emotion. I'm still thinking about it now. The words that the main character, Christopher McCandless, writes are just so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes. I didn't always agree with McCandless' idealistic ways but I loved his journey from beginning to end. Sean Penn (yes, Sean "Mystic River" Penn) directed the film with such beauty and power I couldn't let my eyes off the screen. The movie is quite long (150 minutes) but the acting from Emile Hirsch (who plays McCandless), Catherine Keener, and especially Hal Halbrook is definitely superb. There's one scene between Chris and Hal's Ron that made me die a little bit inside. And man, the last shot (a photograph of the real McCandless), will forever be burned in my memory. Beside Eastern Promises and Ratatouille, this is among the best films of the year. With American Gangster, No Country for Old Men, Michael Clayton, and others coming up, Oscar season, I'm ready.

And there's nothing like watching 28 Weeks Later in true 1080p HD goodness. What a great sequel that's not as good as the original but it's still good nonetheless.

I've been listening to a lot of music as well from Elliott Smith to (gasp!) Kanye West. Yes, I've been listening to Kanye's album and I'd have to say that it is a pretty good album. The best track from Graduation has to be "Homecoming" a duet with Chris Martin of Coldplay. It has to be the next single because it's really a great track.

I've been a recent fan of Elliott Smith since last year but until now, I've never understood his cult-like popularity. His songs are so wonderfully written, beautifully recorded, and amazing played. His darkest songs like the bleak and haunting, "True Love" or "Abused", or his sweetest ("Say Yes", "Waltz #2 (XO)") are written with so much personality and color that it's sad that he died 4 years ago. I've been watching some of his videos on Youtube and you could see that he hated his celebrity status. He just loved playing music and with every performance it truly shows. With so much shit-pop these days, it's refreshing listening to an artist that not only performed with TRUE emotion but also with an artistry that's missing these days. And one more note, he played every instrument on every one of his albums. Hey Timberlake, playing three chords on the guitar doesn't fucking mean you can play guitar.

Also been listening to the new Foo Fighters album titled Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace. I think it's even better than their last album, In Your Honor, because it is much more focused, the writing is tighter, and on some tracks Grohl's voice is filtered or EQ'd to hell. I think that it's still poorly mastered though.

My recommended playlist (these are the ones I must play everyday):
Elliott Smith ~ "Waltz #2 (XO)", "Thirteen", "Pitseleh", "Twilight"
Rilo Kiley - "Silver Lining" (A great fucking song. I've never heard Jenny's voice sound so beautiful)
Kanye West - "Homecoming"
Foo Fighters - "Home"
Against Me! - "Thrash Unreal"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home