Thursday, November 25, 2004

Sideways
Director: Alexander Payne (Election, About Schmidt)
Starring: Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Virginia Madsen, and Sandra Oh.

This was absolutely one of the best films I have seen this year (maybe in the top 5). It was remarkably funny and also sad, precious, and beautiful in many parts. My favorite scene had to be Paul Giamatti's character speaking to his ex-wife after his best friend's wedding at the end. His expression was just heartbreaking to say the least but in a way, it was completely enthralling.

There was also one scene where Miles (Giamatti) and his crush Maya (Virginia Madsen) have a discussion on wines and the words that come out of their mouths are genuine and poetic. It was simply beautiful to listen to them talk about wine. In many ways, I could relate with Miles' sadness and maybe that's why I love the film so much. It may not be as entertaining as the Incredibles but the intelligence and wit that it gives off is simply spectacular. I recommend this film dearly to those who love film. One more note: I truly and dearly loved the ending (which I will not spoil), which is the definitive meaning of hope and happiness.

Grade: A+

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home