Friday, June 29, 2007

Recommendations from Daniel's jukebox o' tunes:

Anberlin - "The Unwinding Cable Car": A former Christian band that writes great tunes has a song that makes the soul burn. This band is underrated and if this song was on the radio they would be fucking huge.

Bloc Party - "We Were Lovers": Being a little biased towards Bloc Party but seriously if B-sides like this were on a second album, the album would definitely be on my top ten list. Other amazing B-sides from BP include: "Version 2.0," "Emma Kate's Accident," "Two More Years," and "Hero".

Jimmy Eat World - "23 (Demo Version)": I think Jimmy Eat World is one of the most underrated bands in the world. They have been writing the most complex songs in the past decade and yet they don't get mentioned. Be sure you guys download the demo version of "23". I find the demo version to be more intimate, more immediate, and just plain better. The album version loses the immediately and raw expressiveness of the music.

Metallica - "One": If you're not a fan of metal then that's too bad. Metal has many songs that are up there with the best of songs and "One" is amongst them. From the amazing lyrics to the beautiful, intricate guitar solos, this is one of the best compositions ever created. It's like if Mozart created a composition using only a bass guitar, guitar, and drums.

Feist - "La Même Histoire": I absolutely love Feist. My cousins Chri and Fifi introduced me to her original sounding music and I've been seduced ever since. I loved her songs "1234" and "Mushaboom" but this one takes the cake. There's nothing like Feist singing in French and she sounds like she's singing just for you. The whisper of her soothing voice sometimes brings goosebumps on my arms.

Paolo Nutini - "Last Request": I absolutely hated "New Shoes". I fucking hated that song with a passion. The lyrics were stupid, the music video was stupid, and the music was stupid. I hated Nutini for a while until I heard this song. How he had "New Shoes" on the same album as "Last Request" is, for me, fucking mindboggling. This song sounded like it was from a different musician: mature and introspective lyrics, a much better composition of music, and more of a passion in the vocals.

Silverchair - "Reflections of a Sound": Silverchair has been my favorite band of all time and this song is the reason why. Excellent and complex lyrics, wonderfully intricate compositions (how many tracks are on this song?), and absolutely mind-blowing vocals from Daniel Johns. Oh, how they've gone a long way from "Tomorrow".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home