Sunday, March 05, 2006

In time, this best picture winner will be considered one of the worst winners in history along with 1976's Rocky, 1980's Ordinary People, 1990's Driving Miss Daisy, and most of all 2002's Chicago (which is now even considered by numerous Academy members "the wrong choice").

A few words from my friend Chris Long about the best picture winner:

"For me, there is a big difference between a run-of-the-mill bad movie and an offensive movie. Ebert found it outrageous that anyone could call "Crash" the worst movie of the year when "Deuce Bigalow" was released this year. I can see his point, but to me a movie like "Deuce" can merely be awful. It is, at the very least, an honest film: it makes no claims other than that it is stupid, crass drivel meant for people who like that sort of thing.

"Crash" on the other hand makes claims to be "insightful" or "truthful" but is really a tissue of lies and platitudes. I realize the film's supporters do not see the film in this light, and I am not trying to convince anyone they are wrong. But understand that those who react strongly against the film are doing so for this reason (or at least many of them are). For me, it is this factor that makes "Crash" so worthy of scorn and makes it "worse" than a "Deuce Bigalow" can ever be."

The Oscars did look really really good in HD though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home