Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I bought the new Coldplay album. I've already listened to it about five times and it's not even close to A Rush of Blood to the Head. I mean, not even half of Rush's beauty and grace. Shit, it's not even close to Parachutes. Rush was a fucking masterpiece but it seems here with their X&Y album that they're trying too hard to become the new U2 instead of being just Coldplay. I can't get into any of the songs with the exception of "Speed of Sound." There's no song like "The Scientist" or "Clocks." There are only a couple of memorable hooks in some songs but something is truly missing here. "The Scientist" gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it and I couldn't stop listening to it. But here none of the tracks have that feeling. Maybe it's because the first two albums were based on sadness, loss, and somber shit. Coldplay is still trying to be sad with their songs but how can they be if their lead singer is no longer feeling like shit?

It's just like the new Audioslave album. While sounding more like a band than individuals, Audioslave seems to have lost their edge.

As of right now here are the grades:
Coldplay - X&Y: C
Audioslave - Out of Exile: C-

Here's hoping that the new Foo Fighters double album will be at least pretty good. Maybe I just need to listen to this Coldplay album a little bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home